Saturday, August 21, 2010

Did I REALLY Do That?

Have you ever just made an interaction so uncomfortable that you wish the earth would fall away beneath your feet? You know, made it look like you were an idiot, a stalker, a Jerry Springer guest?

Me: "Hello! Quasimodo is the name? Oh! I see something on your back; can I straighten that out for you? Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a hump...I mean, it looks fine, I hardly noticed...I had an aunt with a hump once....I LOVE that aunt....I LOVE your hump....I love YOU! Will you marry me?"

I mean, how do you get from hello to total meltdown in 30 seconds? How do you get from relatively intelligent to bumbling idiot in microseconds? The worst part is the person to which you have shown your ignorance walks away with a GREAT first impression.

Quasimodo: "Victor, I know we are friends, but could you please make sure I don't EVER see that person again, she is scary....and I KNOW scary!"

Now, add that to the fact that every time you see or talk to this person again, you become that same idiot over and over again so that now you are growing.....ad infinitum.......that first impression to a body of knowledge that makes you look like a total ass.....

And how do you fix it???? What I really want to say is, "You know, that isn't me....... really, I don't usually say things like that.....honestly,......I just got caught up in the moment.....ANYTHING to erase what happened and start all over again at hello.....hoping that I don't blow it all over again.....Maybe if I just say "Can we start all over again at hello?" that will work?

Life is interesting. These moments keep you humble....or humiliated.....take your pick.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Humiliated. Stacie told me about this post today as I was telling her about someone who I communicate with that I can totally NEVER say the right thing to. I'm pretty sure it is her fault...

Deb Ennis said...

HAHAHA! Isn't it just unbelievable how we get up in the morning thinking we have it all together and then just marvel at how well our feet taste in our mouths? I have to agree it must be the other person, I can't imagine you saying anything that would be anything other than enlightening...(I will keep thinking that about you if you keep thinking that about me!)