Sunday, September 11, 2005

Are You Ready For Some Football?

There was a game on last Thursday. It was the first of the season. Today, however, it begins in earnest. FOOTBALL SEASON!

Believe it or not, there are a lot of women that love football too. Now don't sick all of the women's organizations on me for my next comment, please. I love football because "my boys" love football. The sweetheart of my youth, middle age, and beyond has made me a football fan over the years. (Although I still have not made him a fan of shopping.) Watching my 2 boys and my husband take in football together is a lot of fun. Because these men in my life are so adverse to showing their softer side, I get the positive reinforcement I need that they are indeed close to one another during football season. They are more animated during football than at any other time of the year. My youngest son mostly grunts when I ask him anything, but before a football game he can't shutup. He actually knows a lot of words and can put them together coherently! My oldest son doesn't live close to home now, but last year, he flew home for the Superbowl (we bleed Eagles green, and last year gave us such a high) because watching without benefit of fellow blood Eagles fans just doesn't cut it. He calls during games to talk to his dad and his brother and when a great play happens or a horrific play happens, I can guarantee the ringing of the phone will not be far behind.

One comment here, my daughter-in-law is unbelievable. She delivered my first grandchild on January 1st of 2005. She needed gall bladder surgery in February, but postponed it so he could come home for that Superbowl. Way to go Jessica! She gets it. (And I don't mean football!)

I am not a football widow, I am a football fan. I have to be........it's a family rule. Even my oldest daughter converted her husband to Eagles football. He wasn't much of a sports fan because his dad wasn't, but now he watches too.

I can't spout all of the statistics, or make the picks like everybody else can, but I do understand the game. (It is a game after all, I can understand most games. My youngest son would like to ban me and any other female who thinks they know football from making any comments, however. Raspberry to him! ) I understand who has been good and who has been bad over the past 25 or so years. (Maybe I could make a few picks after all.) We haven't always been so good......but our time is here now. We have the best coach to ever lead an Eagles team. (Although I always like Dick Vermeil)

So break out the Doritos, the buffalo wings, the chips, the dip, the soda, ( sorry, all those beer commercials are lost on us), change the big screen to high-def so we can see the pores on the nose of the cornerback, and let's do some serious armchair quarterbacking.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!

2 comments:

Tha Docta said...

Ah, football season. My favorite time of year. Good thing you guys are coming out for Thanksgiving, because I always like to catch a game or two with Dad and Brent, but my travel budget is just gone this year.

Anonymous said...

"So break out the Doritos, the buffalo wings, the chips, the dip, the soda"

I dont care much for football, but your snacks sound so yummy, I think I might have to drop in for one of the Ennis football Sundays :)

Dawn :)