Thursday, November 10, 2005

Shanghai Dairies Continued

I received the wonderful little travel pack with socks, sleeping mask, (how can anyone wear those? I don’t think I would be able to wear it and fall asleep because I would keep giggling to think how ridiculous I looked. If I did fall asleep, I would probably wake up tearing it off my face thinking I had been kidnapped or something), toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, lip balm (great stuff), moisturizer lotion, etc. I also was offered pajamas. I took the pajamas, but didn’t use them. I don’t think they would have fit anyway. It was a lovely start to a very long trip. While I didn’t sleep like I do in my own bed, I did get rest on and off through the night. About 4 in the morning my time, going on 9 in the UK, I got up, went to the lavatory and used my travel pack to get myself feeling halfway decent. I was then given my 3-course breakfast, which was very good. I have found that over the years, airline food has improved greatly. Top-notch chefs create the menus and the food is actually pretty darn good considering they are served at 37,000 feet at 650 MPH.

Arrival in London was non-eventful. It was the first time I had been at Heathrow. It is really huge. The one thing I do want to comment on is the fact that we, in America, just don’t get it. Growing up as a military brat, and going to high school outside of the US made me get a feel for the community of the world. Living in another country gives you 3 things: an appreciation of home, an appreciation of other cultures, and an appreciation of the diversity AND oneness of the human race. Difference abounds, but we are far more alike than we are different. As I walked through the terminal, I drank in the humanity around me like a thirsty desert dweller. Indians, Hasidic Jews, Brits, Greeks, French, Arabs, Americans, Pakistani, Chinese, all tongues and colors were around me. I was awestruck by the world. It was great.

My first goal was to find the lounge and take a shower. I couldn’t wait. I had a little over 4 hours to kill and I couldn’t think of a better way to spend it than to take a shower and change my clothes before departing on an 11-hour flight. The shower suite was downstairs from the lounge. The suite also included a spa with wonderful smells emanating from the center. I thought about getting a massage, but let it go. The shower rooms were wonderful. New age music wafted through the speakers giving a relaxed feeling to the room. The shower was a steam and shower together with jets that sprayed from the wall as well as from above. Heaven. You could choose steam or not……I chose steam. That was probably a mistake on my part. It made me so hot that my face turned all red and I couldn’t cool down even when I ran cooler water. Anyway, I took my time and enjoyed the shower and good lotions and soaps that were available. Dried my hair (blow dryers on the wall…everyone has those available now. I remember in the late 60’s early 70’s having a blow dryer was practically a sign of wealth!), put on a new face, clean change of clothes, and I felt really great.

Going up to the lounge, I thought I would pull out the laptop and do my first installment for here. There was one problem. The lounge was SO crowded I could barely find an open space. Again, business class and first class lounges were separate, and so many people fly business class that it’s not quiet and comfortable like the Admirals Clubs in the states. As I was walking through, I noticed tucked in the back a room with SANCTUARY stenciled on the door. Oh yeah, just what I wanted. The room was small, but low lights, couches, recliners, and screens made it a haven for the weary. I wanted to find the corner, but a little family was back there resting. I moved from one seat to another further back against the wall. When the family left, I took the divan in the corner. A few Muslims came in to pray. It brought back a memory of when I flew to Greece with my family when I was 14. On the way to Athens, a man came out of his seat into the aisle of the plane, spread his prayer rug, and began to bow and pray. I had never seen anything like that. It fascinated me. I grew up a Southern Baptist…..that is another story.

Anyway, I pulled out the laptop and wrote a couple of paragraphs, but I was beginning to feel tired again. When my fingers refused to type any longer, I let it go.

More to come......

2 comments:

Tha Docta said...

At this rate, you'll have a novel by the time you get here! Keep going. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to food stories.

Zimm said...

These posts are just going to get more entertaining as the trip goes on, I can just feel it...