Saturday, June 05, 2010

The whole world at my fingertips!

I have a new phone. I finally got an iPhone. I have been wanting one since my youngest showed me hers. I have been playing with this phone for the last 2 days, and I can't seem to put it down.

Not so unusual you say? Well, considering I used to leave my phone sitting around until it was dead, not knowing where it was, and looking frantically for it when I was about to go on call, I would say that this is a change. Before I took the jump to the iPhone, I had begun using my Blackberry more, and getting to be lighting fast with a text message. I carried it around on my hip like a sheriff carries his .44. I am officially the geek of which I used to make fun.

I could never understand why people walked around with their eyes down into their palms, missing out on what was going on around them and laughing to themselves like they were part of some cosmic joke. Heaven help me I caught myself doing it!!!

I will say this; I am not too comfortable being this involved with my phone. When I do look up, I see that I have missed some things. I am almost always working from a list of things to do. My list has dust on it and my personal projects and work projects have been laying idle. My new ideas are sitting in my brain veiled behind new apps that I just have to have. But really, isn't this supposed to help us work smarter, not harder?? I do love some of the applications that make life easier, but do I REALLY need mobile Facebook?? (I have it) Do I REALLY need my email to my phone?? (I have it) Do I REALLY need Skype? (Oh yes, have it)

Need to get back to my garden, my interface with real people, and my never ending What Next? list. BTW, my what next includes a new foundation and nurse networking group for community health. Been trying to work on that for 3 years now, just need to put it together. So hopefully, this new iphone will support those things rather than keep me drooling into the virtual keyboard.

With every new technology comes potential for greater good or greater slavery to the tool.

Hey, I just found an app on how to hypnotize, oooo.....there's a whole category on medicine, and look at this! A productivity category........Oops, a little bit of drool goin on.....!

2 comments:

Tha Docta said...

I can now relate. I'm making a concerted effort not to always be looking at the phone, so it's not that bad right now. However, I just got this game called Angry Birds, and it may change things.

Stacie said...

You're even worse a week later. You may now be the geek you made fun of, but I am not. And I'm making fun of you. A lot.