Thursday, August 23, 2007

One Ringy Dingy.....

What’s your ring like? You know, your cell phone ring. I have decided that cell phone rings are intimately related to our personalities. I know, I can hear you………….NO DUH!! I just never really thought about it before. I have heard so many types of rings……..at airports, in meetings, (please mute your phone does not apply to these people), on the street, in the restaurant, in the store, etc. etc. We just can’t seem to get along without our cell phone. Mine always gets a laugh the first time someone hears it. I wonder if that was my motive or whether it made me laugh when I heard it and then I just had to have it……….Patience, I will tell you what it is in a minute. Now it makes me jump every time my phone rings. I have heard Classical music rings (nice), music box rings (nice), rap music rings (not nice) specific rings for specific people (very clever, but it would require that I find out how to do it, or download it, or something else I don’t wish to put forth the effort to do at this time), regular telephone rings (not imaginative, but at least you know it is the phone. How many times have I heard a ring and thought, “What the heck IS that?”), beeps, whistles, buzzes, animal sounds, movie lines, television theme songs, famous people…………….there all out there ready to be downloaded and annoying at any time. One guy I know has chickens as his ringtone….what does that mean?

I can live without my cell phone. My kids will tell you that I almost never answer it and that it’s dead a lot of the time. (Mainly I don’t answer because I can’t find the darn thing in the abyss of my pocketbook until after it goes to voicemail). My feeling is that my cell phone is for my convenience, not yours. Cell phones are ridiculously expensive and I hate all of the cell phone companies. They charge too much for features no one uses and don’t really need (if I really want to be close to the internet at all times why can’t I have a chip and monitor implanted into my arm?) and their contracts are prison sentences for your wallet. Not only that, but I remember the days when you had to yell into the phone to be heard long distance on a land line; I thought we were long over the days of having to yell “You’re breaking up again, I can’t understand you…Hello?……….Hello?” Not to mention, when I travel for business, the best thing about traveling is that no one from the office can reach me because I am traveling. I don’t get these guys walking down the jetway with their bluetooth on (Man! That’s another post) sitting in their seat talking (so everyone can hear, I might add) until the flight attendant threatens expulsion from the plane, and then firing it up again the minute the wheels touch terra firma. How important do you think you are, anyway? My cell phone goes to voicemail “Sorry I am unavailable at this time, please leave a message”. I may listen to them at some point.

The ones that really get me though are the guys in Walmart during the middle of the day in their overalls (seriously) with their bluetooth on like they are expecting a call from Wall Street. Or the person that I know does not work, does not want to work, nor ever intends to work going everywhere with the bluetooth attached to the ear. (I know, you don't have to work to need a cell phone or a bluetooth, but really, how long are you away from your phone? Do you really need a bluetooth?)
Would y’all just STOP it!! It looks ridiculous. Of course, now I have to say that I have a bluetooth that I wear when I am on call and driving, but I am immediately admonished if I don’t take it off when I enter my home.
BUT, I digress. I was talking about ring tones. So what’s your ring tone? Mine is the Tarzan yell,…………how annoying is that?!!

1 comment:

Tha Docta said...

Good to see you back on the site. Also, for those of you not from the East Coast, a pocketbook is a purse. I'm just sayin.